Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grape Vines from Macotera




Greetings All,

The days are growing longer, and I for one am very pleased this time of year. It is time to get things going in the garden, and with the bees as well.

The soil is resting, but the good ground cover weeds are growing. We will till the cover crop in soon.

My cousin Frank brought back cuttings from some grapevines that grow in our family's village of Macotera, Salamanca, Spain. Frank goes every year to visit his family there. At any rate, when I heard of these vines from the old country I just had to have some. Frank gave me some cuttings off the vines, which are merely branches. I propagated these in soil, Fortunately they did take root, and I ended up planting 26 plants. They did great, but the first year in the group, the deer ate them up on May 19th ( the anniversary of my Dad's passing ). I was so saddened. But the little vines, true to the nature of a "Chaparo", continued to grow despite adverse conditions.

After battling deer for 3 years, I think I will finally have fruit this year. I am not trellising them, but head pruning. This affords a strong thick stem, which will bear the weight if the vines.

The photos reflect cuttings I am starting this year ( because one can never have enough grape vines ), and a 3 year vine which I head pruned!

No comments: