Sunday, March 8, 2009

Estate Sale Treasures





Someone put a sign on a telephone pole at the lower end of the property yesterday advertising an estate sale. It was up the road a bit and I thought I would check it out. I am so happy I did.

The home was on Brooktree Ranch Rd and was built in the early 70's. The style was very eclectic and reminded me a lot of organic looking homes in Big Sur. The house was sadly in a bad state, with water damage, termite damage and earthquake damage from the 1989 7.1 we experienced out here.

Still the house had a lot of creative energy still left. The woman who lived there, Virginia Hughins, passed away 4 years ago, her husband of over 60 years passed this February.

Virginia was quite the artist and was very prolific. If I had more walls I would have purchased more paintings. The lesson here was to choose the works that called to me and to not be greedy. I came home with 3 acrylics and 1 water color. I will post a picture of the water color after I have it framed.

I also purchased her older "Made in Japan" gold leaf plates...so pretty. Thank you Virginia for your beautiful art...

1 comment:

pjtog said...

Nice art! Can't wait to see the watercolor. I love those the best.