Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hived a Swarm

On March 3, 2008 I heard a LOUD hum, looking up toward the sound I saw a cyclone of golden bees swirling swarming.  It was quite the site to behold, and had an extreme humbling affect on me.  The swarm clustered high in a huge old oak that sits to the East of my back deck.  There really wasn't much I could do, it was pure nature.
Fellow beemaster.com folks gave me wonderful instructions as to how to capture this swarm.  I set out 2 swarm traps.  One I had purchased from Mannlakeltd.com.  It is a large sort of conical shaped pulp thing.  I placed lure in it, this lure has a swarming pheromone in it.  The second trap I made out of an old hive body, and some drawn comb that I had saved in the freezer.  Now all I had to do was sit and wait...

No comments: